Home owner grants (HOG) are available to individuals who are Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants and reside permanently in British Columbia. A home owner is entitled to the grant if they occupy an eligible residence as their principal residence.
If you are eligible for the home owner grant, the completed application is due by the property tax due date to avoid a penalty on the grant amount. You can apply for your HOG online or when you pay your taxes.
APPLY ONLINE (Available May 19, 2017):
- The Town of Gibsons provides residents the ability to electronically submit their Home Owner Grants (eHog).
Claim your Home Owner Grant Online here.
- To apply online for the grant, you will need your Roll Number and password, both of which you can find on the bottom portion of your tax notice.
- If you have recently purchased the property, and your name does not appear on the Property Tax Notice, please contact the Finance Department at 604-886-2274.
WHEN YOU PAY YOUR TAXES:
- You can claim your grant at the same time you pay your taxes. Whether you pay in person or mail us a post-dated cheque for your taxes owing, please be sure to include your completed and signed Homeowner Grant application. This is the “tear-off” bottom portion of your tax notice. Simply fill out and sign the tear-off portion and include this with your payment.
Maximum grant amounts:
- Basic Grant: $770
- Additional Grant: $1045 (65 years of age or over, or otherwise qualifying)
- you are responsible for the proper completion of the grant application
- the grant must be claimed each year by December 31
- if property taxes are paid by a mortgage company, you are still responsible to submit the grant each year. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR HOME OWNER GRANT APPLICATION TO THE BANK. Either claim your grant online or complete and forward the application to the Town Office
- the grant can be claimed even if you are not making a payment. You must apply for your provincial homeowner grant in every tax year. It is important that you claim your grant before July 4, 2017 in order to avoid any penalties.
Not sure if you qualify for the grant? Additional information may be obtained from the Provincial Homeowner Grant website, by phone toll free at 1-888-355-2700, or visit: gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant