Property Taxes are calculated based on the assessed value of your property, which is provided by BC Assessment. If you have questions about your assessment, please contact BC Assessment directly at 1-866-825-8322 or visit their website or watch this short video showing how taxes are affected by changes in assessment.
Your property tax notice includes municipal taxes and levies from the Sunshine Coast Regional District and School District No. 46. The Town does not control rates for these taxing authorities, but acts as the collector on their behalf. Gibsons Council has control over the rate setting of municipal taxes only. Below is the breakdown of total taxes collected for 2016:
Property Tax Deferment Program:
Home owners may be eligible to defer payment of current year property taxes under the Land Tax Deferment Program administered by the Province. There are now two programs available:
1. Regular Property Tax Deferment – to qualify for this deferment, the home owner must:
- be the registered owner(s) of the home
- be 55 years of age or older OR a surviving spouse OR a person with disabilities as defined in the Regulations to the Land Tax Deferment Act
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident under the Immigration Act (Canada)
- have lived in British Columbia for at least one year immediately prior to applying
- apply on the home in which you live
- have a minimum equity of 25% in your home based on assessed values as determined by BC Assessment
- have a current fire insurance policy on your home
2. Property Tax Deferment Program for Families with Children – Qualifying homeowners who are financially supporting a dependent child under age 18 can apply to defer property taxes on their principal residence.
Additional information may be obtained from the Tax Deferment Branch website or by phone toll free at 1-800-663-7867.
Please note: if you do choose to defer your taxes, you are still required to claim your Homeowner Grant.
Property Tax Certificates:
Are you a lawyer or Notary Public looking for a Property Tax Certificate? Our Tax Certificates are conveniently available online through:
- myLTSA Enterprise: If you have an account, log in and from the main menu, select Service Providers and Order Tax Certificates. For more information about myLTSA or to become a customer, visit www.ltsa.ca
- APIC: If you prefer to pay for the tax certificate by credit card, please visit www.apicanada.com to open an account and order your Tax Certificate.
Annual Tax Sale:
In accordance with the Local Government Act the Town of Gibsons conducts the annual tax sale the last Monday in September by offering for sale by public auction each parcel of real property on which taxes are delinquent.