Gibsons Garbage Pick Up Days
- Residences located below Gibsons Way – Wednesday
- Residences located above Gibsons Way – Thursday
Permitted Garbage Containers
Each household is permitted one waterproof container of heavy plastic or light weight galvanized sheeting with a close fitting lid and a maximum capacity of 98 litres. The maximum permitted weight when filled with garbage is 20 kilograms. Plastic bags are not allowed; all garbage must be in wildlife resistant containers. The Town bylaw also stipulates that garbage containers must not be placed at the curb prior to 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day, in an effort to minimize wildlife conflicts.
Garbage Tags for Excess Garbage
The Town sells garbage tags for those who live in the Town. Garbage tags may be used by residents to ensure collection of garbage in excess of the weekly limit. The tags may be purchased for $3.00 each at the Town of Gibsons office, 474 South Fletcher Road. Please be advised that drivers will not accept cash.
A reminder that Bylaw No.779 defines collectible garbage as unwanted, noxious, offensive or unwholesome matter or substances of a non-toxic nature derived from normal household use and capable of being contained in a garbage can, but shall not include the following:
- chemicals which may create hazardous working conditions
- explosive or flammable substances
- fish feed bags
- grass cuttings, tree or hedge clippings or other garden refuse
- hazardous (including pathogenic and radioactive wastes)
- material hot enough to start combustion
- paints ties lumber, demolition materials, rocks gravel or soil, stumps or timber
- undigested septic sludge
- waste oil or petroleum by-products
Waste Reduction Tips
Waste prevention is the most effective way to reduce garbage. If each of us makes small changes to our purchasing and disposal habits, we can greatly reduce the amount of waste we create.