Arts and Culture
Gibsons is surrounded by beautiful scenery that inspires a rich and unique cultural environment, and supports a diverse community of world-class artists, artisans and musicians. There are numerous local festivals and arts organizations that promote an abundance of opportunities for arts and culture in the Gibsons area.
Upcoming Events – Summer 2018
Music in the Landing: established in 2003, Music in the Landing is a community event featuring free concerts by local professional musicians of all musical genres all summer long (except Sea Cavalcade weekend). All concerts are free of charge and are family friendly events. Grab the lawn chairs or a blanket and bring the gang down to the park. Find the most up-to-date details about all the performances at https://www.facebook.com/Music.Landing/
August 17 – 19th – 2018 Howe Sound Iron Canadian Championship: come down to Lower Gibsons and watch a variety of exciting canoe and outrigger races – men’s, women’s, mixed, short course, long course. Get all the information here.
- Gibsons Public Market 473 Gower Point Road, next to Gibsons Marina. Open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am – 6pm (coffee window open at 8:30am) Bistro open 9am for brunch (May 30 – summer). GPM is a community project that inspires and supports economic activities in the region. The public market is a destination for Sunshine Coast residents and visitors of all ages where all are welcome to convene and learn, enjoy local food, fresh produce, art and entertainment. The public market provides space for community activities, gatherings, workshops, a marine education centre, a community kitchen, and a bistro. Visit www.gpmshoplocal.com for details about products and services available at the public market and for information about upcoming events.
- Friday Farmers Market put on by Gibsons Public Market. Celebrating Food and Food for the Soul. Fresh produce, prepared foods, seafood, eggs, honey, talented artisans and live music every week. Celebrate all things local every Friday in Gibsons Landing. Call 604-886-8814.
- Gibsons Landing Sunday Market at the foot of Holland Park in Lower Gibsons, open Sundays from 10am to 3pm.This market features the art and crafts of local artisans, farm-fresh produce, pastires, jam & jellies and much more! Contact Maria at 604-886-3764 for more market information.
Art and Artists:
- Gibsons Hand-painted Banner Project – For more information, please contact Wendy Gilbertson at 604-886-8587. The deadline for submission if February 1, 2018. 2018 Banner Application Form.
- Coast Cultural Alliance for a comprehensive list of artists and galleries – Contact Linda at 604-740-5825
- Gibsons Public Art Gallery, located in the heart of historic Gibsons, BC, is part of a lively arts and heritage community that supports five outstanding commercial galleries, several artists’ studios, a heritage museum and this public non-profit art gallery.
- Gibsons Landing PLEIN AIR Paint Out – Contact Jan Poynter 604-886-8918
- Gibsons School of the Arts – Improve your artistic abilities by enrolling in one of six 5-day summer workshops for painters at the Gibsons School of the Arts on the scenic Sunshine Coast in British Columbia, Canada. Contact Sheila at 604-885-3807
- Historical Walking Tours – Contact Sunshine Coast Museum for more information 604-886-8232.
- Join Dale Peterson for a 90 minute historical walking tour of Gibsons Landing. Start with the early years with Squamish First Nations, then weave through how and when George Gibson and his two sons arrived. Through colorful narrative stories, Dale shows you what life was like in the 1890s, 1920s, 1950s and along the way explain famous people, divides of the day; both funny and tragic stories.
- Sunshine Coast Art Crawl Contact Linda at 604-740-5825
- Sunshine Coast Arts Council Contact Sheena at 604-885-5412
- Sunshine Coast Museum and Archives
- Sunshine Coast Spinners’ & Weavers’ Guild
- Rogue Arts Festival – a 3 day, one-site, outdoor multidisciplinary arts festival including music, performance and visual arts, workshops, vendors, demonstrations, and whatever else is conjured up! Music and Theatre
- Coast Recital Society is a non-profit society dedicated to the presentation of the finest recitals and chamber music for Sunshine Coast audiences.
- Coast String Fiddlers Association (CSFA), a non-profit group, is committed to promoting the understanding and learning of traditional fiddle music through the support of fiddle instruction and related activities.
- Heritage Playhouse; Contact Zeta at 604-886-8998
- Music in the Landing Contacts: Linda 604-740-5825
- Sunshine Coast Jazz & Entertainment Society
- Sunshine Coast Film Society
- Sunshine Coast Driftwood Players Association
- Canada Day Celebrations on July 1st 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. at Winegarden Park – contact Wendy for more information: 604-886-8587.
- Sea Cavalcade Contact Conchita at 604-886-9648
- Gibsons Landing Jazz Festival Contact Linda at 604-740-5825
- Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts
- Sunshine Coast Festival of the Performing Arts
- Sunshine Coast Community Services “Duck Pluck” at Dougall Park
- Sunshine Coast Labour Council – Labour Day Picnic at Dougall Park
- Tourism BC
- Gibsons Visitor Info – Things to do inside