On April 20, 2021, Council established the “Tree Bylaw Select Committee” to advise staff and Council on suggested amendments to the Tree Preservation Bylaw 1282, 2020 (Bylaw 1282), which was adopted in September 2020.
According to the related Staff Report, the following scope should be considered in the Committee’s recommendations:
- Maintain the intention of Bylaw 1282 – to preserve and enhance the tree canopy in Gibsons where feasible:
- Ensure a smooth rollout of the updated Bylaw 1282; and
- Prepare for and address public concerns pertaining to Bylaw 1282.
According to the Committee’s Tree Preservation Bylaw Committee Terms of Reference, the Committee will comprise between 5 and 7 members, including:
- 1 member of Council (Councillor De Andrade.);
- 1 Certified Arborist;
- 1 Landscape Architect or landscape specialist from a related background;
- 1 or more residents with a background in Environmental Sciences;
- Representatives from the general public having an interest in the future of Town of Gibsons, who may or may not identify as having a specific area of expertise or interest;
- A representative of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw will be appointed as a committee member if there is an expression of interest.
The Committee will dissolve after four meetings (unless the duration is extended by Council resolution.)
Residents and/or property owners of the Town of Gibsons who are interested in being considered for a position on the Tree Bylaw Select Committee are asked to please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and related experience by email to: email@example.com.
Alternately, you may mail your application to: Town of Gibsons, 474 South Fletcher Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V0
Applications must be received no later than Friday, May 28th at 4pm in order to be considered.