Each year, Council and staff undertake a budgeting process which sets out the provision of essential services, planned initiatives and related financial parameters for the coming year and the next five years . The decisions made during this process are guided by the Strategic Plan, which helps define Council’s key areas of focus during their term.
We encourage our community to follow the annual budget process, and to provide feedback to Council throughout. You can email Council at email@example.com
March 21, 2023
At the Committee-of-the-Whole meeting on March 21, 2023, a 6.5% tax increase was recommended. This reflects a 5% policing tax increase and a 1.5% general tax increase. This recommendation will go to the March 28th Council meeting for approval.
Click here to view the full agenda which includes the related reports: Gibsons – Meeting Information (civicweb.net)
March 7, 2023
On March 7, 2023, the Director of Finance presented the General Operations Budget Update 1 which reflected Council’s request to see a reduced tax increase of 1.5% instead of the 4.5% increase originally proposed. The revised budget items include:
- Removal of the community festival (Sea Cavalcade) line item ($15,000)
- Reduction of the Grants of Assistance line item by $10,000
- Reduction of the Town Hall repairs and maintenance budget by $11,000
- Increased funding from the Covid Safe Restart Funding by $49,000 to cover additional computer related costs being incurred in 2023
- Increased funding from reserves by $29,000
These changes enabled a revised property tax increase of 1.5% and results in a revised 2023 projected surplus of $148,329.
View the report: 2023-03-07 Prelim 2023 Gen Ops Budget Report Update 1 (civicweb.net)
February 21, 2023
At the February 21 Committee of the Whole meeting, the Director of Finance presented the 2023 Preliminary General Operating Budget. The total 2023 operating revenue (from all sources) reflects a proposed 4.5% tax increase and is budgeted at $8,574,305. This is an overall increase of $545,288 (6.8%) compared to the previous year.
Total expenditures, debt payments and transfers to reserves are $8,427,289 ( $598,022 (7.6%)) higher than last year’s budget. The net result is a budgeted surplus of $147,016. These funds can be used to support the partial financing of the current year capital/projects plan, transfers to reserves, and/or additional considerations of Council.
Note: the general capital projects plan will be brought to the Committee for review at the March 14, 2023, Committee of the Whole meeting.
January 14, 2023
On January 24th, the Town’s Director of Finance presented the 2023 Water and Wastewater Long Term Financial Plan Updates to Council at a Committee of the Whole meeting. The report recommended a 5% increase to water and wastewater parcel taxes and user fees. This increase would support the long-term plan to achieve funds with sufficient reserves to address short and long-term operational and capital requirements while limiting the use of debt and dependency on grant funding.
Additionally, staff proposed a $12.00 annual increase to the residential Garbage and Organics User Fees and an increase of $1.00 to the current extra container ticket fee.
To view all the reports that were presented to Council, please click here: Gibsons – Meeting Information (civicweb.net).
A draft motion to authorize the proposed 5% increase to the sewer parcel tax and user fees will be brought to Council on February 21st.
The proposed schedule for the upcoming 2023 budget meetings/bylaw readings is as follows:
- March 14th Committee of the Whole at 3pm – General 5-year Capital/Project Plan
- March 14th Regular Council – Rates, Fees, and Charges Bylaw 1196 – for adoption
- March 21st Committee of the Whole – General Operations Budget Update #2
Revised General Five-Year Capital/Project plan
Final direction / committee recommendations
- March 28th Special Council Meeting– Council direction to prepare bylaws
- March 28th Special Council Meeting– Final Budget Presentation
- April 18th and May 2nd – Financial Plan and Tax Rate Bylaws
*Times may be subject to change, please confirm details one week prior to meeting.
View the full calendar at gibsons.civicweb.net
Budget Timeline Overview 2023-2027
October to January:
- Staff prepare budget requests (Water, Sewer, General).
December to January:
- Council workshop with staff on budget requirements for the upcoming year.
- Through public engagement, Council hears from community members on their top priorities for the year.
- With input from staff and community members, Council reviews input before formal deliberations begin.
January to February:
- Council reviews operational and capital budget requests and considers early approval for projects.
- Council continues with ongoing budget deliberations.
- Council determines additional public engagement opportunities.
- Operational and capital budget requests will be approved, deferred, or removed by Council.
- Five-Year Financial Plan Bylaw is drafted for Council consideration.
- Three readings and adoption of 5-Year Financial Plan.
The Community Charter states that “each year, after adoption of the financial plan, but before May 15th, a council must, by bylaw, impose property value taxes for the year”.
Click here to view the full Budget 2023-2027 Timeline Overview