Budget 2020: Water Operations

Gibsons’ water infrastructure includes the pipes, pumps, wells, reservoirs and meters that move water from the environment to your tap, as well as the Gibsons Aquifer, which stores and provides naturally pure groundwater to about 75% of Gibsons’ residents. The other 25% of Gibsons’ residents are supplied by water purchased at a bulk rate from the Sunshine Coast Regional District.

2020 Revenue

Total operating revenue is budgeted to be $1,804,787, an increase of $107,904 over 2019.

The increase is related to two factors:

  1. Additional taxes/user fees as more properties are connected to the Town’s water system throughout the year.
  2. A 5% increase in parcel taxes and user fees, which is made up of a 2% cost of living increase and a 3% asset replacement increase.

Each year, the Town’s water rates are reviewed to ensure they reflect all current and future costs associated with the Town’s water infrastructure. Based on this review, Gibsons’ Council approved an overall increase of 5% in the Town’s water rates in the 2020 budget. Higher rates help ensure the Town has the funds it needs to continue delivering reliable water services for the long-term.

2020 Expenses

Total operating expenses are budgeted to be $1,669,017, an increase of $335,518 over 2019.

The increase is largely related to:

  1. A $200,000 transfer to the Town’s operating reserve in order to restore the operating reserve to $425,000. This is the minimum level recommended in our Long-Term Financial Plan.
  2. A $133,905 transfer to the Town’s Capital Reserve, in order to begin building the capital reserve required to fund future capital-related expenditures.
Net Surplus

With total budgeted revenues of $1,804,787 and total expenses budgeted at $1,669,017, a net surplus of $135,770 has been forecast. This surplus will be used to fund the current year capital expenditure program.

Learn More

To learn more about the Water Operating Budget, and view the Water Fund Base Budget for 2020, please click here.

To view a PowerPoint presentation on the Long-Term Financial Plan for our Water Infrastructure, please click here.

To view a spreadsheet showing planned Water projects for 2020, and for 2020 -2024 (Five-Year Plan), please click here.