Pre-campaign Period: Monday, July 18, 2022 to Friday, September 16, 2022
At the beginning of this period election advertising rules come into force and continue through General Voting Day.
Nomination Period: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 to Friday, September 9, 2022
The period for candidates to submit their nominations to local election officials.
Campaign Period: Saturday, September 17, 2022 to Saturday, October 15, 2022
Who May be Nominated?
A person is qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen; and
- be 18 years of age or older; and
- be a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before nomination papers are filed; and
- not be disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in British Columbia or from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
All candidates have expense limits that apply during the campaign period. The campaign period for the 2022 General Local Elections is September 17, 2022 to October 15, 2022.
Each election area and office has its own limit, which is based on the office and population of the election area. These limits apply to the 2022 General Local Elections and all subsequent by-elections.
- Mayor: $10,797.83
- Councillor: $5,398.92
- Sunshine Coast School District (SD46) Trustee Election Area 3: $7,833.78
Elections BC administers campaign financing for local elections and assent voting in B.C. under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act. For more information on how you can run your campaign, campaign finance limits etc. see the “Candidate Information” page at the Elections BC site.
Election Signs and Advertising Information
The Town of Gibsons regulates where and when campaign signs can appear. Elections BC administers advertising rules for local elections in BC.
Before you get started on your campaign, visit the Corporate Officer at Town Hall and pay your $100 deposit for placing election signs in the Town. Election signs must be removed by the end of the day on Saturday, October 22, 2022 – your deposit will be returned following the removal.
Starting at the beginning of the Campaign Period as defined in the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, elections signs can be placed within the Town of Gibsons. For the 2022 General Local Elections, this is Saturday, September 17, 2022. All signs must be removed by end of day on Saturday, October 22, 2022.
Election advertising signs may not be placed on property owned or operated by the Town of Gibsons, except in the road right-of-way if it does not pose a safety hazard. You may place advertising signs on private property with the permission of the owner.
You are responsible for obtaining the permission of the property owner before placing signs. The Town of Gibsons does not permit candidate signs on municipal buildings, structures, or in locations which may cause a hazard but does permit signs in road right of way, provided it does not limit visibility or create a hazard.
Regarding signage along Highway 101, known as Gibsons Way within the Town, the Ministry of Transportation has suggested the following guidelines for sign placement:
– try not to place signs on curves in the road, if they are placed on curves, sight distance restriction must be taken into account;
– place signs on tangent (straight) sections away from other highway signage, and at least 150 to 200 metres from intersections;
– place signs at least 4 metres or more away from the shoulder edge of the highway.
For further information on placing election signs along the highway, contact Area Manager, Ministry of Transportation, Tel: 604.898.5786.
IMPORTANT: It is an election offense to conduct election advertising on General Voting Day, October 15, 2022. This includes push advertising on social media etc. It is also an election offense to canvass or solicit votes, display campaign material or post signs within 100 meters of where voting is taking place at ALL voting opportunities. Be aware that Voting will be held at the Gibsons & Area Community Center at 700 Park Road, Gibsons, BC on Wednesday, October 5, 2022, Wednesday, October 12, 2022 and Saturday, October 15, 2022 from 8am to 8pm.
- Potential Candidate Videos
- Foundational Principles of Responsible Conduct for BC’s Local Governments