Garbage collection occurs bi-weekly (i.e. alternating weeks) in the Town of Gibsons.
Each household is permitted one waterproof container of heavy plastic or light weight galvanized sheeting with a close fitting lid and a maximum capacity of 98 litres. The maximum permitted weight when filled with garbage is 20 kilograms.
Uncontained plastic bags are not allowed; all garbage must be in wildlife resistant containers.
The Town bylaw also stipulates that, in order to minimize wildlife conflicts, garbage containers must be placed at the curb between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
Report A Missed Collection
If your household garbage or organics waste pick-up was missed, please contact Salish Soils by phone at 604.885.5383 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See Your Schedule/Sign Up For A Reminder
Use the Gibsons Waste App (below) to learn which zone you live in, see when your collection days are, sign up for collection reminders, report a missed collection and much more!
Garbage Tags for Excess Garbage
The Town sells garbage tags for those who live within Town of Gibsons boundaries. Garbage tags may be used by residents to ensure collection of garbage in excess of the weekly limit. The tags may be purchased for $3.00 each at Town Hall, 474 South Fletcher Road. Please be advised that drivers will not accept cash.
A reminder that Bylaw No 1252 defines collectible garbage as garbage capable of being contained in a Wildlife Resistant Container, but shall not include the following:
- collectible organics
- recyclable materials as mandated by RecycleBC, including beverage containers, packaging and printed paper, cardboard, and aluminum cans
- grass cuttings
- tree or hedge clippings or other garden refuse
- hazardous (including pathogenic and radioactive wastes)
- explosive or flammable substances
- chemicals which may create hazardous working conditions
- material hot enough to start combustion
- waste oil or petroleum by-products
- paint, tires, lumber, demolition materials, rocks, gravel or soil, stumps or timber
- fish feed bags
- undigested septic sludge
Wondering what you can recycle? Refer to the Recycle BC website to see which materials are acceptable at the SCRD’s three recycling depots. Or, use the “What Goes Where” function on our “Gibsons Waste” app to find out exactly how to recycle or dispose of it.