Building Inspection services ensure the quality of life for Gibsons’ citizens is maintained by regulating all construction within the Town. This is achieved through the use of the Town’s Building Bylaw 1284, 2020, the British Columbia Building Code, the British Columbia Fire Code and other related bylaws and enactments within the Town of Gibsons.
If you are an Owner-Contractor, you will be held responsible for ensuring that all requirements are met under the Building Codes and Bylaws. This means undertaking and securing the written reports and field inspection reports for professionals you may be required to retain for the work on-site.
Avoid delays in construction by ensuring you completely understand this responsibility before proceeding.
Please refer to Rates Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 1196 for a schedule of the rates, fees and charges for municipal services.
**The building application fee is required upon receipt of application. Final permit fee is required upon permit issuance.**
Book an Inspection
Building Bylaw Update – Fall 2020
BC Energy Step Code
One component of the Town’s Building Bylaw update is the implementation of the BC Energy Step Code, a provincial standard designed to help both local government and industry steadily move toward a future where all new buildings across BC are “net-zero energy-ready” by 2032. To learn more about the implementation of the BC Energy Step Code on the Sunshine Coast, please click here.
Day-to-day Building Inspection services include:
- processing applications and issuing a variety of permits covering building moving, building demolition, building construction, plumbing, heating, fire sprinklers, swimming pool installations, and woodstove and fireplace installations
- conducting inspections for compliance with the minimum health and safety requirements contained in related construction codes and bylaws
- investigating complaints relating to unauthorized construction, unsafe conditions and violations of related Town of Gibsons bylaws
- maintaining a well-trained, courteous and responsive staff to effectively screen and process construction applications and preliminary proposals
- acting as a forum for discussion and consultation for local builders, developers, home owners and others involved in the construction industry
- maintaining records of construction projects undertaken within the Town and review proposed equivalents to determine if they will provide a level of performance at least equal to the standard required by the British Columbia Building Code
Building Without Permits
Building without a permit can result in a doubling of the Permit Fees. Finishing or refinishing on houses, i.e. painting, wallpaper, paneling, trim work, re-roofing, etc. do not require permits. An accessory building, with less than 10 sq. metres (108 sq. ft.) in floor area, may not require a building permit, but a plan should be submitted showing its site location.
Appointment of Agent
Energy Efficiency Requirements for Houses in BC
Hot Water Heater Brochure
B.C. Building Act
B.C. Energy Step Code
Building Permit Guide and Application Form
Checklist for Building Permit Applicants
BC Building Code Analysis Summary Form
Application for Service Connections – Schedule B
Application/Permit to Install, Use & Maintain Highway Access
Site Profile Form
Site Profile Exemption Form