The Town of Gibsons is committed to attracting new business and retaining existing businesses in the Town to foster economic stability and growth for the community. If you conduct business within the Town of Gibsons for gain or profit, you are required to have a valid Town of Gibsons Business Licence.
Types of Business Licences
- Resident Businesses are businesses that have a permanent location in Gibsons. These businesses operate from offices, retail locations, warehouses, manufacturing facilities and home based.
- Non-Resident Businesses are businesses that operate in Gibsons on a temporary basis. These businesses include building trades contractors and mobile businesses that have no fixed address in the Town of Gibsons.
- Inter-Community Businesses are businesses that service more than one community on the Sunshine Coast by moving from client to client rather than having a client come to a fixed place of business. Inter-Community licences allow these types of mobile businesses to conduct business in the Town of Gibsons, the District of Sechelt and/or Sechelt Indian Band. This program enables businesses to pay for one licence and no longer requires them to purchase licences in multiple jurisdictions. Please check the inter-community box on the business licence application form to register for this program.
The Town of Gibsons supports the establishment of appropriate home-based businesses in residential zones. Please refer to the Zoning Bylaw 1065 for permitted home-based businesses, which can be found in E-Resources on our Civicweb Portal: https://gibsons.civicweb.net/portal/
Business Licence Fees
Business Licence fees are charged annually and can vary depending on the type of business. Fees are non-refundable once a licence has been approved and issued.
Complete this form if you have any changes to your business address, mailing address or phone number: Business Licence Change Form
THINKING OF OPENING A BUSINESS? HERE’S WHAT TO DO:
- Complete an application form and bring or fax it to the Town of Gibsons Town Hall.
- Staff will review your application to make sure it is complete and forward it to the appropriate staff for approval.
- The approvals required will depend on the type of business and the Town’s zoning requirements.
- Once all approvals are in place you will be contacted to come to Town Hall and pay for your Business Licence, usually within two business days.
Important Zoning Information
Prior to opening a business you need to determine if the zoning of the proposed business property is suitable for the type of business you are planning. To verify zoning, view the Zoning Bylaw or contact the Planning Department at 604-886-2274.
Business Licence Approvals
Fire Department Inspection
This inspection ensures that your business premise complies with the Fire Prevention Regulations. Compliance helps to protect lives, property and equipment investments.
Every business in our community is required to operate in accordance with Town Bylaws, BC Fire Code Regulations and the Fire Services Act. For more information on the Fire Department Inspection call 604-885-6870.