Updated March 1, 2023
On June 1, 2022, the Form and Character Development Permit (DP-2018-05) and Land Exchange Agreement expired. The Town has received a new Development Permit application for Form and Character and a request to extend the Land Exchange Agreement. Staff are currently reviewing the application and intend to bring it to Council for a decision in the first quarter of 2023. The report will be available for public viewing one week prior to the meeting.
The following are the changes summarized by the developer:
1) FORM AND CHARACTER CHANGES:
The following are the design changes that impact the Form and Character of the project.
- i) The entire hotel second floor has been removed lowering the height of the hotel by 11’-4” from the previous
overall height of 124’-10” down to new maximum geodetic height of 113’-6”.
- ii) The watercourse along the outdoor promenade between the residential and hotel buildings has been
replaced with landscaping.
- iii) The 4 hotel rooms at the P1 level have been removed.
- iv) The hotel north-east elevator and stair has been extended to the 2nd floor to provide direct elevator access
to the main floor spa from the hotel floors.
2) AQUIFER PROTECTION:
The following is a general summary of the internal layout changes done that will further help to protect the aquifer.
- v) The lowest (3rd floor) parking area has been reduced by 3,115 sf. in area.
- vi) The foundations have been revised to a raft slab that further protects the aquifer.
3) FORM AND CHARACTER ELEMENTS THAT REMAIN UNCHANGED:
The following is a general summary of the major form and character elements that remain unchanged from the
- i) The colour scheme of the exterior materials remain the same.
- ii) The dimensions of the hotel building envelope in plan remains the same except for the removal of the
second floor noted above.
- iii) The elevations and façade elements of the hotel building remain the same except for the second floor which
has been removed as noted above.
- iv) The dimensions of the residential building envelope remain the same.
- v) The elevations and façade elements of the residential building remains the same.
- vi) The dimensions of the “podium” parking structure remains the same except for the reduction of the P3 parking area noted above.
4) INTERIOR DESIGN CHANGES THAT DO NOT IMPACT THE FORM AND CHARACTER OF THE PROJECT:
- i) Residential units: (39 units Proposed) (40 units Original)
- ii) Hotel rooms: (111 units Proposed) (116 units Original)
- iii) Parking stalls (215 stalls Proposed) (214 stalls Original
In October 2022, land assessments on the property were initiated. This work requires minor excavation of the site, which is included in the scope of work for both the environmental and geotechnical permits held by the developer