Fireworks Bylaw - Town of Gibsons

The Town of Gibsons’ Fireworks Bylaw 1034, 2006 regulates fireworks possession, sales, application and discharge permits, insurance, public events, and penalties and enforcement.

Anyone who is considering discharging fireworks within the Town is advised to read Bylaw 1034 in full.

Halloween Fireworks Displays

Anyone 19 years of age or older who would like to discharge “Low Hazard” or “consumer” fireworks on or around Halloween must apply for a “Display Permit” by submitting a “Display Application“, together with a $25 processing fee, to the Town’s Bylaw Officer at least 10 days in advance of the display.

The application and payment may be submitted at Town Hall, during our regular operating hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.)

In addition to the $25 processing fee, there is a $25 charge for the Display Permit. This may be paid when the permit is picked up.

Failing to obtain a Display Permit before discharging fireworks could result in a fine of $200.

Additionally, discharging fireworks in a public place could result in a fine of $250.

The RCMP, Town Bylaw Officer and local fire department will be patrolling Town of Gibsons neighbourhoods on Halloween weekend.

Frequently Asked Questions
What do you mean by “Low Hazard Fireworks”?

Low Hazard Fireworks, or “consumer fireworks” are designed for recreational use. They include items like fountains, golden rain, lawn lights, pin wheels, Roman candles, mines, snakes and volcanoes.

Is insurance required in order to be granted a Display Permit?

Yes. Anyone applying for a Display Permit must show proof of valid and adequate insurance. This may be obtained through your homeowner’s insurance, by naming the Town of Gibsons as an additional insured party, for no less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars.)

Are firecrackers legal?

No. It is unlawful for any person to possess, use, or discharge any firecracker. Firecrackers are defined as a small firework used solely as noisemakers and not for pyrotechnic effect.