Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Since 1993, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, (FOIPPA) has defined the type of information that public bodies in British Columbia can collect or control. The Act also defines the rights individuals and corporations have in regard to privacy, such as the right to access public records and the right of protection of privacy of personal information in the control of a public body.
The Act’s purpose is to make public bodies more accountable to the public and to protect personal privacy by:
- giving the public a right of access to records;
- giving individuals a right of access to, and a right to request correction of, personal information about themselves;
- specifying limited exceptions to the rights of access;
- preventing the unauthorized collection, use or disclosure of personal information by public bodies, and
- providing for an independent review of decisions made under this Act.
Start with an informal request
The Town of Gibsons has enacted Bylaw No. 741, 1994, Freedom of Information, for the administration of the FOIPPA within the Town. Most information is available upon request and does not require a formal Freedom of Information (FOI) request. However, if you are unsure you may contact the Corporate Officer at 604-886-2274.
Formal FOI requests may be addressed to the Corporate Officer. Click here to download a request form in pdf format.
Released FOI Records
As of January 1, 2019, we post all FOI releases, except requests for records and responses that contain personal and confidential information.