The Town of Gibsons has implemented a COVID-19 Safety Plan to help protect our staff and the public when they interact.
However, as in-person service is limited and in order to further reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, we encourage citizens to engage with us by phone at 604.886.2274 or by email at email@example.com.
Utility bills and property taxes may be paid through your financial institution’s online or telephone banking services, by PayTM Canada or by mailing a cheque to: 474 South Fletcher Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V0.
Under our safety plan, some employees are working from home, or on staggered shifts. As a result, we are asking the public to please be patient if there is a delayed response to an enquiry.
We are offering limited in-person municipal services and ICBC services at Town Hall, with the following operational changes implemented in recognition of COVID-19:
- There are now two separate entrances to Town Hall, one for ICBC services (on the left) and one for Town Hall municipal business (on the right);
- Access to counter services at Town Hall is limited to 1 person per side;
- The parking lot has been temporarily closed to enable physically distanced line-ups (street parking is available);
- Directional signs for line-ups are painted on the parking lot and information signs are provided at the entrances;
- Plexiglas shields have been installed along the front service counter; and
- Hours of service have been changed to 9:00am to 4:00pm, and in the case of ICBC, the counter will be closed periodically, including from 12:30pm to 1pm, to provide an opportunity for staff breaks.
Additionally, we ask that you self-isolate if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- Respiratory Illness or Difficulty Breathing
- Fever greater than 38 Degrees C or 100.4 Degrees F
- Dry cough
- Travelled outside Canada within last 14 days
- Been in close contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- Municipal water and sewer services will continue as usual.
- Garbage and organic pick up will continue as usual on regularly scheduled days. Please be sure to place the curbside caddy (and not the smaller kitchen caddy) outside between 7am and 8am. Reminder: the caddy is locked when the handle is pulled down in front of the bin. This helps keep wildlife out. Click here, or download the Gibsons’ Waste Management App (available at iTunes or Google Play) to see your schedule.
- To arrange to purchase extra garbage collection tags or organic bins, please call 604.886.2274.
- The Green Yard Waste Depot may be closed for periods of time due to staffing limitations. We will endeavor to keep this service open as much as possible but the COVID-19 pandemic will be affecting non-essential services. Thank you for your patience.
- Public water fountains and the water dispenser beside the Sunshine Coast Museum and Archives have been shut off until further notice.
- Tennis courts are open. The Town encourages citizens to use its parks, trails and beaches, while remembering to keep at least 6 feet apart from others.
- Out of an abundance of caution, playground equipment and Brothers sports field will remain closed until further notice.
Public Washrooms and Shower Facilities
- The following public washrooms are open: Armours Beach (8am to 10pm), Winegarden Park (8am to 4pm) and Dougall Park (8am to 4pm). They are being cleaned every 4 hours to conform with guidelines provided by Vancouver Coastal Health and all three washrooms have sinks with soap for hand washing. Toilet paper, soap and hand towels are replenished regularly.
- Follow the links to find maps of public washroom locations operated by the Town of Gibsons, District of Sechelt and the Sunshine Coast Regional District.
- Washrooms at the Gibsons Aquatic Centre and the Sechelt Community Centre are open from 7am to 7pm, seven days/week.
- Showers are available at the Gibsons Aquatic Centre on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 7am to 7pm.
- Showers are available at the Sechelt Community Centre on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from 7am to 7pm.
Planning and Development
We are continuing to provide planning and development services by email as much as possible. For information on how to contact each department, please see below.
- On-site building inspections have been cancelled until further notice. Building Officials will continue to perform virtual inspections where possible.
- Please direct building enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Bylaw Enforcement Officer is continuing to respond to calls.
- Please direct bylaw enquiries to email@example.com
- Development applications, building permits and business license applications should be submitted digitally or by mail with payment made by check.
- Please direct planning and development inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed permits and licenses will be returned to applicants digitally or by mail.
Town of Gibsons Public Spaces
The Gibson Recycling Depot is still open as usual, but the book re-use service has been suspended and vehicles are limited to 6 at a time, to allow for social distancing. Please pre-sort your recyclables prior to arrival at the depot to help reduce wait times. For further updates, please visit the GRD website.
The Gibsons RCMP Detachment is closed to the public. Please direct non-emergency enquiries to the Sechelt RCMP office at 604.885.2266.
The Gibsons Public Market is currently operating under these conditions.
Brothers Field (located beside the GACC) is closed. Crews are performing annual maintenance routines at this time.
The Gibsons and District Public Library (GDPL) is closed. For updates, please visit the GDPL website.
The Gibsons Public Art Gallery (GPAG) is closed. For updates, please visit the GPAG website.
The Nicholas Sonntag Marine Education Centre is closed. For updates, please visit the Nicholas Sonntag MEC website.
The Gibsons Visitor Information Centre is closed.
All unessential meetings have been cancelled or postponed until further notice.
To ensure the public can continue to participate in all Council and committee meetings, these sessions are now being held online. To access all the details, including the links required to join each meeting, please visit our dedicated webpage.