Gibsons’ Town Hall is open and has implemented a COVID-19 Safety Plan to help protect our staff and the public when they interact. This includes a mandatory mask policy (please see below for more details.)
However, as in-person service is limited and in order to further reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, we encourage citizens to engage with us by phone at 604.886.2274 or by email at email@example.com.
Utility bills and property taxes may be paid through your financial institution’s online or telephone banking services, by PayTM Canada or by mailing a cheque to: 474 South Fletcher Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V0.
Under our safety plan, some employees are working from home, or on staggered shifts. As a result, we are asking the public to please be patient if there is a delayed response to an enquiry.
COVID-19 Restart Funding
In November 2020, the Town learned we would be receiving $1.512 million under the federal Safe Restart Agreement. The funding was provided to enable local governments to continue to provide services during the pandemic, with potential fund uses clearly outlined in the initial grant document. Funds may be granted to local non-profit organizations to assist with COVID-related shortfalls, particularly those centred on providing assistance to vulnerable populations. At present, staff are working on a report to Council on how best to administer any related funding program. The Town will provide further information to the public as it becomes available.
Mandatory Mask Policy
Effective Monday, November 9th, it is mandatory for members of the public to wear a mask while inside a Town-operated facility (including Town Hall). Staff are required to wear a mask whenever they interact with another person. Disposable masks are available, and established safety protocols, including reduced occupancy, plexiglass barriers and hand sanitizer remain in place.
People who are exempted from the new policy include children under the age of five and people with disabilities which make mask-wearing difficult. Any other person who refuses to wear a mask inside Town-operated facilities will be denied in-person service.
We are offering limited in-person municipal services and ICBC services at Town Hall, with the following operational changes implemented in recognition of COVID-19:
- There are now two separate entrances to Town Hall, one for ICBC services (on the left) and one for Town Hall municipal business (on the right);
- Access to counter services at Town Hall is limited to 1 person per side;
- The parking lot has been temporarily closed to enable physically distanced line-ups (street parking is available);
- Directional signs for line-ups are painted on the parking lot and information signs are provided at the entrances;
- Plexiglas shields have been installed along the front service counter; and
- Hours of service have been changed to 9:00am to 4:00pm, and in the case of ICBC, the counter will be closed periodically, including from 12:30pm to 1pm, to provide an opportunity for staff breaks.
Additionally, we ask that you self-isolate and call your physician if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- Respiratory Illness or Difficulty Breathing
- Fever greater than 38 Degrees C or 100.4 Degrees F
- Dry cough
- Travelled outside Canada within last 14 days
- Been in close contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
To ensure the public can continue to participate in all Council and committee meetings, as well as Public Hearings, these sessions are now being held online. To access all the details, including the links required to join each meeting, please visit our dedicated webpage.
- Municipal water and sewer services are continuing as usual.
- Garbage and organic pick up are continuing as usual on regularly scheduled days. Click here, or download the Gibsons’ Waste Management App (available at iTunes or Google Play) to see your schedule.
- To arrange to purchase extra garbage collection tags or organic bins, please call 604.886.2274.
- Public water fountains and the water dispenser beside the Sunshine Coast Museum and Archives have been shut off until further notice.
- Tennis courts are open. The Town encourages citizens to use its parks, trails and beaches, while remembering to keep at least 2 metres apart from others.
- The following public washrooms are open: Armours Beach (8am to 10pm) and Winegarden Park (porta-potty open 8am to 4pm). They are being cleaned once a day to conform with guidelines provided by Vancouver Coastal Health and both washrooms have sinks with soap for hand washing. Toilet paper, soap and hand towels are replenished regularly.
- Follow the links to find maps of public washroom locations operated by the Town of Gibsons, District of Sechelt and the Sunshine Coast Regional District.
Planning and Development
We are continuing to provide planning building, and bylaw enforcement services by phone, email and in-person, when necessary. For information on how to contact each department, please see below:
- Please direct planning inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please direct business licence and bylaw enquiries to email@example.com
- Please direct building enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Development applications, building permits and business license applications should be submitted digitally or by mail with payment made by check with your application. Please call ahead if you plan to drop off a building permit / development application: 604-886-2274
- On-site building inspections are continuing with 2 m distancing measures in place. Building Officials will only enter a building with one other person (such as the general contractor). Please exercise optimal hygiene with Town staff on your work site.
- Our Bylaw Enforcement Officer is continuing to respond to calls, while always maintaining 2 m distancing measures.
- Completed permits and licenses will be returned to applicants digitally or by mail.
Town of Gibsons Public Spaces
The Gibson Recycling Depot is open as usual, with guidelines to allow for social distancing and prevention of the spread of COVID-19. Please pre-sort your recyclables prior to arrival at the depot to help reduce wait times. For further updates, please visit the GRD website.
The Gibsons Public Art Gallery (GPAG) is open. For information about current exhibitions and operating hours, please visit the GPAG website.
The Gibsons Public Market is currently operating under these conditions.
The Gibsons and District Public Library (GDPL) is open. For more information, please visit the GDPL website.
The Nicholas Sonntag Marine Education Centre is open. For updates on operating conditions, please visit the Nicholas Sonntag MEC website.
The Gibsons Visitor Information Centre (now located at 494 South Fletcher Road) is currently closed.
Sea Cavalcade has been officially cancelled for 2020. An alternate community celebration may be planned when social distancing restrictions have been lifted.
Gibsons Landing Sunday Market has been cancelled until further notice, due to COVID-19.
Music in the Landing, in its traditional form, has been cancelled. However, organizers are working to provide alternate musical performances. For more details, please visit the group’s Facebook page.