A Public Art Advisory Committee was first appointed by Council in 2006, to respond to interest expressed by the community in acquiring and displaying art to culturally enrich public spaces, including those in new developments. After completing several public art projects, that initial Committee was eventually disbanded.
In late 2019, Council began working to establish a new Public Art Advisory Committee after recognizing renewed community interest in the idea, as well as an increased opportunity to acquire public art that will help to distinguish our community and to foster a sense of pride and attachment to public spaces and buildings.
In early 2020, a revised Terms of Reference document was adopted by Council and a call put out for Expressions of Interest from community members who would like to serve on the Committee.
Call Out For Committee Volunteers – March 2020
Currently, Gibsons’ Council is seeking Expressions of Interest from community members who wish to serve on the newly formed Public Art Advisory Committee.
The Committee will advise Council on the implementation of public art policies and projects for the Town of Gibsons, with the goal of leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
To see a complete description of the committee’s mandate, composition, meetings, as well as committee members’ duties and responsibilities, eligibility, and appointment, please read the complete Terms of Reference here.
To apply for a position on the Public Art Advisory Committee, please forward a cover letter and resume outlining your relevant arts-related experience by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail/hand delivery to Town Hall, 744 South Fletcher Road.
The deadline to apply is Friday, March 20, 2020.
The mandate of the Public Art Advisory Committee is to advise Council on the implementation of public art policies and projects for the Town of Gibsons.
The Committee will incorporate best practices with the aim to:
- Strengthen and enhance civic pride and the identity of the community;
- Recognize and preserve our cultural heritage and artistic diversity;
- Increase the number of public art projects undertaken;
- Increase the opportunities for local artists to create and display their work;
- Increase public awareness and appreciation of visual arts through the display of public art works;
- Engage the community in discussions and decisions regarding public art projects;
- Incorporate artwork and beautification in both public and private developments of significance; and
- Leave a lasting legacy for future generations.
The Committee will consist of up to 7 members. The Committee will reflect Gibsons’ cultural diversity and geographic setting.
Membership will be determined as follows:
One (1) Municipal Councillor;
One (1) representative of the Gibsons Public Art Gallery; and
Up to five (5) representative(s) of the community at large with knowledge of or experience in the following:
- Fine or Visual arts;
- Urban planning;
- General interest in community-based art programming.
Read the complete Terms of Reference for more information on the Public Art Advisory Committee’s Duties and Responsibilities, Appointment and Membership, and Meetings.